Next-generation robotics for sterile compounding of hazardous drugs
By applying decades of sterile manufacturing expertise and unparalleled engineering intelligence, Grifols and KIRO are taking technology's role in achieving safety in sterile compounding to a new level.
Grifols KIRO® Oncology is an inimitable robotic system with engineering controls that focus on precision, flexibility, reliability, and safety throughout the critical processes of sterile compounding hazardous drugs.
Its lean design and streamlined footprint uniquely enable Grifols KIRO® Oncology to meet the demands of the highly complex process of compounding patient-specific chemotherapy medications with maximum precision and minimal disruption to pharmacy operations.
Safety and Accuracy
- Precision scales perform gravimetric verification at all stages of the compounding process for assurance of dose accuracy
- In-process barcode readers and cameras capture data on drugs, disposables, and final containers with or without barcodes for accurate traceability
- Accuracy is calculated for automatic error rejection and reporting
- Beyond Use Dates(BUD) are automatically calculated and tracked for multi-dose vials to ensure maximum fluid removal, automatic disposal, and waste minimization
- Automated compounding and self-cleaning occur in a completely enclosed environment offering unparalleled protection for staff
- ISO 5 compounding area meets USP <797> standards for patient safety
- Class II Biological Safety Cabinet (BSC) design meets USP <800> standards for operator and environment protection from unintended exposure to hazardous drugs during loading andunloading
- Searchable, reportable database automatically captures data valuable to business analysis
- Uniquely designed, with two robotic arms, to enable vial reconstitution and bag filling in parallel for optimal automation efficiencies
- High-precision drug and diluent pumps maximize reliability of dosing success
- Accommodation of a variety of sizes and manufacturers' bags, syringes, infusers, and cassettes, as well as industry-standard disposables, mitigates disruption to current contracts and preferences
- Prepares patient-specific doses and small batches using liquid and lyophilized drugs
- Accommodates new medications and fluctuations in workloads
- Partially used vials are held within the cabinet and can be automatically used for subsequent dose preparation
- Partial-vial labels, database tracking and intelligent alerts maximize reuse of unloaded partial vials
- Design optimizes workflow efficiencies and minimizes risks of repetitive task injuries
- Integrated system for secure disposal of hazardous waste without compromising the cabinet or cleanroom environment
- Interface engine supports bidirectional messaging with many protocols including HL7
- Lean design with a footprint equivalent to a 6-foot vertical flow cabinet facilitates ease of installation and integration into existing cleanroom facilities
Grifols' engineering excellence, manufacturing experience, pharmacy knowledge, and project management proficiencies streamline the entire process from business justification to implementation – and throughout our partnership with you and your facility!
For more information please visit
Lurie Children's Hospital Selects Grifols KIRO® Robot to Increase Precision, Safety, and Compliance of Pediatric IV Chemotherapy Handling and Compounding http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160322006625/en/Lurie-Children%e2%80%99s-Hospital-Selects-Grifols-KIRO%c2%ae-Robot
Grifols to Install the Kiro® Oncology Robot at Smilow Cancer Hospital http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160609006463/en/Grifols-Install-Kiro%C2%AE-Oncology-Robot-Smilow-Cancer
To request additional information, please contact our Hospital Division customer service at +1 800 379 0957 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.