Grifols' R+D+i projects focus on broadening the therapeutic potential of plasma proteins, enhancing the safety of blood transfusions, creating new solutions for hospital pharmacies and advancing intravenous therapies. Our main research areas are:
We consider collaborations and equity stakes in research companies and projects an extension of our in-house R+D+i efforts and a vital platform to share scientific knowledge with renowned researchers. Some of these investments include:
- AlbaJuna Therapeutics - Spain: Development of a new treatment strategy based on antibodies with great potential to neutralize HIV.
- Alkahest - United States: Research on age-related cognitive deterioration related to plasma proteins. The company requested FDA approval of an Investigational New Drug (IND) and received authorization in 2017 to start a Phase I/II clinical trial to test a plasma fraction in patients with Alzheimer's and Parkinson disease.
- Araclon Biotech - Spain: Research and Development of treatments and diagnostic tests for Alzheimer's disease and other neurodegenerative diseases. It received regulatory approval to start a Phase II trial of an Alzheimer's vaccine in 2017.
- Aradigm - United States: Development and marketing of inhaled pharmaceuticals for the treatment and prevention of severe respiratory diseases.
- GigaGen - United States: Research and development of new recombinant immunoglobulins from immune B cells.
- Singulex - United States: Development of a novel ultrasensitive technology SMC™ (Simple Molecular Counting) applicable to clinical diagnostic and transfusional fields. It allows for the identification of rare biomarkers.